Sunday 17 April 2011

4 Alphabets (faints)

Ok technically only 3 since 'Romaji' is pretty much useless and I know it already (clever me lol)

I knew there was 'hiragana', 'katakana' and 'kanji' but couldn't work out what the hell each was for and why anyone would need all 3. I have learnt a few things though.

Hiragana is curvy and really quite pretty to look at (I tried writing it by hand and it's a b***h though). It's the basic alphabet for learning pronunciation and for useful 'joining' words (and etc)
It's used when the kanji for a word is really difficult (in my case always then lol) or there isn't a kanji for the word.
It's used for suffixes and context for verbs and adjectives.

Katakana is the angular style but with the same pronunciation (I'm thinking male cousin of the pretty hiragana silly I know) and is used for foreign words (I guess they don't often have kanji for them either)
Can be used to show emphasis and for onomatopoeic words. Is also used on menus (sometimes) So long as I can recognise plain rice and noodles I should be fine (way too picky an eater)

Kanji will no doubt be my arch nemesis whilst I am learning. Right now it scares the crap outta me and it's pretty much essential too since most vocabulary uses kanji.

Right now I'm thinking will this really be worth it or should I go the route of stereotypical Brit abroad and rely on shouting. Damn scary kanji. Well Imma beat the crap outta you and learn this damn language, what do you make of that?
Not too good at shouting anyways so I guess learning the language would be best.

Tracey xxx

3 comments:

  1. You'll kick it's butt and be speaking fluently to Kyo in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't need to know a whole lot for what I'd like to say to that young gentleman :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. LULZ I think just four little words would suffice. Then he'll be putty in your hands ;)

    ReplyDelete